Every man’s wardrobe has that one comfortable, stylish pair of trendy dress shoes that they want to wear for many years. But if we don’t take care of them, there are chances that we are compromising on their overall lifespan. In order to ensure that your shoes always look new and have the longest possible lifespan, the most important thing is to protect their soles, especially if you have leather shoes.
Today in this article, we’re sharing some tips to protect the soles of dress shoes, to ensure that they have the largest lifespan possible. So, fasten your seatbelts, and let’s get started.
Tips to Protect the Soles of Dress Shoes
- Apply water repellent coating to your shoes before wearing them for the first time. If your shoes have leather soles, you need to apply a leather-safe water repellent. After wearing your shoes for some times, use a soft cloth or sponge and gently wipe your shoe soles using warm water. Then reapply the water repellent on your shoes.
- After every wear, remove dirt, moisture, and dust from the soles of your dress shoes. Keep your shoes on a cedar wood shoe tree when you’re not wearing them. Cedarwood shoe trees absorb harmful moisture that possibly can damage the soles.
- Visit a cobbler or a shoe peddler, and tell them to attach protective soles to your dress shoe’s soles after wearing them for a few days. These protective soles help protect your original shoe soles from natural wear and tear and scuffing; additionally, they are visually almost invisible.
- If you’re living in snowy or icy climate areas, you can attach anti-slip soles to existing soles of your dress shoes. These anti-slip soles will protect your dress shoes from moisture and will also keep you safe from falling.
- Rotate your dress shoes after each use. This will allow them to breathe, rest and dry out if they’re wet. It will also ensure a long life of your dress shoes.
- Avoid walking through mud and standing water whenever possible.
Things to keep in mind
If your shoe sole feels weak or spongy when you press them, this is an indication that it’s that time to replace your old shoe sole with a new one.
Apart from the sole of the shoe, the shoe itself is very important. So, here is one bonus tips for protecting your shoes too:
- Always keep your shoes in cold and dark places. To maintain the shape and the color of shoes, it’s essential to keep them away from humid and sunlit areas. If possible, keep your shoes with shoe trees in a dust bag or box.
So, these were the tips to protect the sole of dress shoe and ensure the longevity of your shoes because they also deserve a long and happy life.